Friday, April 22, 2016

Pregnancy Sacrifices

31 Weeks Pregnant
After coming back from the Philippines, I had an incredibly hard time trying to get back into running. I just couldn't figure out why my body was not allowing me to run without making me feel winded. My hubby chalked it up to my body still recovering from IM Philippines. I, on the other hand, swore that I had to be pregnant. Why else would I be having such a hard time?

Two weeks later, after many tests, it was confirmed that I was indeed pregnant! I was ecstatic! I could not wait to be a momma and I couldn't wait to love my child. I also had high hopes of becoming one of those pregnant women I've read so often about - a pregnant runner!

At first, it was mentally tough to deal with my pace constantly slowing each week. Other women online were able to maintain a great pace. I was not expecting myself to win any races but I was at least hoping to stay relatively close to my previous standards. But soon after, my body just wouldn't allow me to run. My body was not even getting much bigger but with the intense pain I was feeling and the occasional spotting, I knew I should put up my running shoes. This was incredibly hard for me to do. I love running. Running keeps me feeling calm and just feeling like me. But I was willing to hold off on that to ensure my baby got the chance to grow big and strong.

The next thing to go was cycling. Typically, I would ride my bike through 7 miles of hilly San Francisco to get to work. I loved riding my bike to work everyday! But once I got to about 21 weeks pregnant, I had a conversation with my husband and he was worried about the dangers of riding through the city. He was confident in my riding abilities but we can't always trust that cars would see us (cause I've had many close calls riding to and from work). So that was a tough decision but easy to agree on.

Losing cycling and running was really hard. I cried often from not feeling like myself. I didn't have the same outlets that I used to have. Both of these sports were also how I attained my social needs. I had friends who I always worked out with! (Like how some people have weekly brunch gatherings, I would have weekly cycling or running outings!) Dealing with this loss has been (and still is) a struggle for me. Those were 2 of my passions! I felt so free, independent and strong! Even just seeing people cycle or run across the Golden Gate Bridge has been really tough for me to handle. I miss it so much.

But I know this is only temporary! (I hope anyways!) I hope once my baby comes, I will be able to share with him the joys that I have of being outside and embracing such simple pleasures. I've even got my Thule jogging stroller ready just for him :) Well, and me!


In the meantime, I had to find other outlets for my exercise needs. I found comfort in swimming a couple times a week. Swimming has been a lifesaver, especially as I have gotten bigger, the weightlessness feels great! It also doesn't hurt that it feels incredible to pass others in the pool (when everywhere else in my life I have just gotten so much slower!). But my main sources of exercise have been walking, prenatal pilates, prenatal fit and prenatal yoga. These classes have been great in helping me develop strength while making sure I continually focus on the life growing inside of me. They provide modifications for whatever stage of pregnancy you are in. There has even been a great comfort in spending time with other women who are also expecting. The Pad has been such a fantastic resource for me! Many of their prenatal instructors are also doulas and have so much knowledge to share about the pregnancy experience.

So even though my life has greatly changed over the past 9 months, I am trying to take each step in stride and embracing the joys of being pregnant.

Hiking in Napa at 7 weeks pregnant - and I throught I was getting bigger! haha What was I thinking?! Little did I know how big I could get!

Felt like I broke my foot... Doctor said the baby gave me gout! Who knew this could happen in pregnancy?!


My wonderful family threw the most amazing baby shower for our little cowboy!


Hiking at 38 weeks pregnant. Continuing to get lightning bolt stabbing pains while walking but now with the addition of painful contractions. No one warned me about how painful pregnancy could be!

No comments:

Post a Comment