Friday, March 20, 2015

Palm Springs Training Camp 2015

After figuring out my work schedule, I finally got the chance to attend Pacwest Athletics' training camp this year! I was so nervous about the intensity of training for a full 4 days! This was our chance to basically eat, sleep and train all weekend. I was nervous but oh so excited!


Thursday
Long morning swim at the beautiful Palm Desert Aquatic Center.
I had not been swimming much prior to this training camp, so this was a major kick in the butt. It was a good week if I got 1 swim in... but with this camp, there were no excuses! But it also made me realize that swimming with a group is actually really fun! I can't tell you exactly what has been preventing me from going but I am just glad to be back at it!



We even got to get a video analysis of our swim and it has been incredibly helpful! I never had formal instruction on my swim stroke and had absolutely no idea what good form should be. Meeting with Jason Campbell has been so mind opening and extremely helpful as I continue to swim. I am constantly thinking about one major piece of my stroke that I should be improving. Its extremely motivating!

After swim, we went off on our first ride of the weekend. I fun (yet windy). I was pretty excited to be out of the pool and onto my bike as I was finally in my element. As a teacher, its actually pretty funny how I work hard on my strengths and put procrastinate on the areas of my weakness - since I see it in my students all of the time! Now, I completely understand! But it wont be an excuse for them but rather a reasoning for me to get into the pool!





Friday
Friday morning, we got the chance to swim in the 50m pool at the Palm Desert Aquatic Center and it was pretty awesome! I'm terrible at flip turns, so the less flip turns the better! Swimming in a 50 meter pool really makes you focus on endurance and not the reliance of taking a quick break at the ends of the pool (as I like to do!)

After the video analysis and conference, I was able to swim with a better idea of how my swim form technique should be! Sorry dad, guess your swim instruction to me as a kid was wrong :( It's okay, I still love you!







 With my friend, V! We are all smiles! - this was before we realized what was ahead type of course was ahead of us!


The trek up this climb was awesome! I love climbing hills! I was more worried about the downhill after we got to the summit! 



The BEAUTIFUL view that we earned after all of the work! It was such an amazing ride! But this was barely the start of our 60 mile ride!

The Pacwest Crew!





Riding through the sand storm aftermath - Dirt all over the face! I thought I had gotten really dark and realized that, nope, just dirt all over my body! That bath tub  was full of sand after I got done with it!


Saturday






Sunday (Race/ My "D" Race? - Practice Race? hehe)




While the weekend was rough and full of intense training, I absolutely loved it! I trained hard and had fun with friends! I think one of the best parts was the dance parties for 2 that I had with my hotel roommate, V! My training weekend experience would not have been the same without you!

No comments:

Post a Comment