Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Balancing life and Ironman Training

          It's my third day as an official high school special education teacher and my x week into IM training!! Adjusting from paraprofessional to teacher has been much more difficult than I thought. I am constantly working to figure out the best lesson plans for my students. I want to develop something engaging for my math students. Math can be so mundane, so I want to really try to think out of the box and encourage my students to think critically beyond the typical math equations.

          On top of that, I have to figure out how to stay on top of my training schedule! At least I have a coach that creates a schedule for me and all I have to do is follow it. It makes it so easy and creates a simple routine for me to follow.

          Yesterday, though, I did have a training buster. On my way to a work training session, I was riding on the street. My commuter bike has been having some difficulties lately getting into the last gear (baby baby gear). So, as I pedaled up this one last hill, it was steep enough that I needed to get out of my saddle. While pedaling, the chain didn't catch, my foot lost placement in the pedal cages, and I flew forward - knocking my bike all the way down. On the way down, my sternum landed on the handlebars roughly and my head knocked the pavement. It was a super rough fall. I got up, adjusted my bike and rode on - to make it to training on time.

          When I finally got home, my sternum was not feeling good. I couldn't lift my arms without pain. When I laid down on the couch, I felt excruciating pain. When I moved anywhere, I had pain. But when I coughed, i felt like I was gonna die! Fortunately, my boyfriend is the best and took care of me as much as he could.

          I woke up this morning to soreness/pain but was well enough to get back to VeloSF. The pain has subsided and I am feeling a lot better. Coughing is still extremely painful but at least I can walk around and talk to my students without tears in my eyes.

          Moral of the story: Don't procrastinate on getting your bike tuned up. I was lucky that I didn't injured any worse than I had. I'm definitely getting myself an appointment to get my baby fixed!

No comments:

Post a Comment